Tender new potatoes in a savory black pepper and blue cheese sauce.
Black & Blue Potatoes
- Large pot for boiling
- 1½ quart saucepan
- 3 lbs new potatoes
- 2 Tbs. butter
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tsp. course ground black pepper
- 5 oz container of blue cheese crumbles reserve ¼ cup of crumbles for topping
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Boil the potatoes until they are tender. Drain and place in a serving bowl.
- In a 1½ quart saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and whisk in flour to make a roux.
- Gradually add the milk while whisking continually.
- Then add ½ cup of the blue cheese crumbles, black pepper, and salt.
- Whisk over medium heat until the blue cheese melts and the sauce has a gravy-like consistency.
- Pour the sauce over the top of the potatoes in the bowl. Sprinkle with more course ground black pepper and top with remaining blue cheese crumbles. Optional: garnish with chopped chives.
A Delicious Savory Potato Side Dish
I love blue cheese.
If a blue cheese burger is on the menu when we eat out, I’m usually getting it. Blue cheese and beef pair beautifully.
This side dish of new potatoes in a savory blue cheese and black peppercorn sauce is delicious with lamb as well. In fact, I created it as a side to the leg of lamb I made for Easter dinner. My family loves this dish!
I bought these new potatoes at the grocery store. I can’t wait for the potatoes in my garden to be ready so I can use them to make this side dish!
Not Just for Potatoes
We like the sauce in this recipe as a topping for steaks and hamburgers as well. Just try not dipping red meat in it! The course ground black pepper I use is from Corky’s Cookout. It’s a great blend of course ground peppercorns that seasons meats and sauces well.
I hope you enjoy Black & Blue Potatoes as much as we do!