Decadent, rich, from-scratch homemade chocolate cream pie recipe topped with easy, homemade real whipped cream and garnished with chocolate shavings.
Ditch the boxed pudding mix! Homemade, from-scratch chocolate cream pie is so much better than the shortcut version. Of course, homemade chocolate cream pie takes longer to make. It’s worth every minute, I promise.
Chocolate Cream Pie
- 10 inch pie pan
- 1 traditional pie crust, baked see below for link to instructions for making traditional pie crust
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup flour
- ¼ tsp. salt.
- 2 cups milk.
- ⅔ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- Into a 2.5 quart sauce pan, add the sugar, flour, salt, milk, and chocolate chips.
- Warm the mixture over medium heat until the chips are melted.
- Mix 1/4 cup of the hot mixture with the 4 egg yolks. Slowly whisk the egg yolks into hot mixture. Continue cooking on medium heat for about 10 minutes until the mixture thickens like pudding.
- Then pour the chocolate pie filling into the pie crust. Cover the filling with wax paper or plastic to keep a skin from forming. Refrigerate the pie for at least 4 hours until firm. Top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
How to Make Whipped CreamChocolate cream pie is amazing with a real whipped cream topping. Toss that non-dairy whipped topping. That isn’t even real food. Instead, pour a pint of whipping cream into a large mixing bowl. Add ¼ cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Start the mixer on the lowest setting and begin beating the whipping cream. As the cream thickens, gradually increase the speed of the mixer. Continue mixing until the whipped cream is thick and holds it’s shaping when spooned out. Use a spatula to spread the whipped cream all over the top of the pie. You can also put it into a cake decorating bag with a large decorative tip and pipe pretty swirls of whipped cream onto each slice of pie.
How to Make Chocolate Shavings for GarnishChocolate shavings make a chocolate pie so pretty! They give a hint as to the flavor of the pie when you take it to family gatherings and potlucks. First, melt together in a small bowl in the microwave about 2 tablespoons of semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1 teaspoon of butter. Stir the mixture well. Then spread it thinly in the bottom of a dinner plate. Place the plate in the freezer for about 10 minutes. When the chocolate spread is hardened, use a small serving spatula to scrape it off the plate. This will make the thin shavings that look so pretty on top of a chocolate pie.
Traditional Pie Crust
For this recipe, I start with a traditional pie crust.
To bake a crust for a cream pie, poke holes in the bottom of the unbaked crust with a fork, then place a smaller pie pan in the center of it to help it hold its shape while baking. Then bake it for about 15 minutes at 375 degrees.
Place a smaller pie pan on top of a traditional pie crust when baking it for a cream pie. This will help the pie crust hold its shape while baking.
Enjoy this incredible pie! I promise you’ll never go back to the boxed pudding and non-dairy whipped topping version after giving this one a try.