Southern Bourbon Pecan Pie is a decadent dessert that is perfect for the holidays. The filling is richly flavored with bourbon and brown sugar.
Southern Bourbon Pecan Pie is my most-requested dish during the holidays. One year I ran out of time to make it. I showed up at Family Christmas without it. Big mistake. Don’t disappoint your family and make this pie. This pie is to die for. I promise.
Southern Bourbon Pecan Pie
- 10 inch pie pan
- ½ cup real maple syrup
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter, melted not margarine
- ⅓ cup bourbon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 eggs beaten well
- 1½-2 cups whole shelled pecans
- 1 traditional crust for pie unbaked
- Roll out the pie crust dough and place it into the pie pan. Scallop the edges.
- Combine the first 7 ingredients and mix well.
- Add the beaten eggs and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the pie shell.
- Arrange the pecans in a pretty circular pattern on top of the mixture.
- Bake on the lowest rack in the oven at 350° for about 45 minutes.
- If you like, cut out some pretty leaves from any extra pie crust dough and "glue" them to the edge of the pie for a decoration instead of scalloping the crust.
This is my version of Great-Grandma Irma’s recipe. If you recall from a previous post, a “condition” of my engagement was to learn to make a pie from Grandma Irma. We made pecan pie together on that wonderful day. The filling is candy-rich and flavorful. On top, the pecan halves toast beautifully adding a terrific complement to the filling. Of course, the homemade crust is buttery, flaky, and delicious.
My contribution to this recipe is the addition of bourbon. Have you noticed I can’t just make a recipe as written? ? Traditional southern pecan pie contains bourbon in the filling. I don’t know why Grandma didn’t add bourbon to her pecan pie. Every Christmas she made Chocolate Bourbon Balls so strong you would see Santa.
I like it with bourbon in it. Bourbon adds a depth of flavor that takes this pecan pie from amazing to To Die For!
How To Make Southern Bourbon Pecan Pie
I included in this recipe my video showing how to make a homemade pie crust. The written article Make Pie Crust 101 is linked here.
Oh boy, is this dessert rich! That’s why I usually only make it during the holiday season. It’s such a treat and your family will LOVE it! Serving this pie after that incredible turkey ensures your family a food coma for the rest of the day!